ISO9004:2009 is the guidance document for ISO9001. It explains the paragraphs of the standard in reasonably plain English and takes the implementation of the standard beyond compliance. It’s not only an important standard for anyone implementing the ISO9001 quality standard, it also provides some really useful guidance for anyone who just wants to look at their business with fresh eyes and improve performance.
The standard defines eight key quality management principles that are fundamental to the success of any business:
- Customer focus
- Involvement of people
- Process approach
- System approach to management
- Continual improvement
- Decision making based on facts
- Mutually beneficial supplier relationships
Over the next few months we shall look at each of the principles and how they can be applied in any business and the key benefits
Principle 1 – Customer Focus
All businesses depend on their customers and need to understand current and future customer needs. They should meet customer requirements and strive to exceed their expectations.
Applying the principles of customer focus should lead to one or more of the following activities being carried out:
- Researching and understanding customer needs and expectations.
- Ensuring that the objectives of the organisation are linked to customer needs and expectations.
- Communicating customer needs and expectations throughout the organisation.
- Measuring customer satisfaction and acting on the results.
- Systematically managing customer relationships.
- Ensuring a balanced approach between satisfied customers and other interested parties (e.g. owners, employees, suppliers, financiers, local communities and society as a whole).
- Increased revenue and market share obtained through flexible and fast responses to market opportunities.
- Increased effectiveness in the use of the organisations’ resources to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Improved customer loyalty leading to repeat business.
To find out more about the principles of good quality management and how it can help your business drop us an email or call 0333 321 0131.